Thursday 12 February 2009

And now, in the best 'Awards Season' tradition...

I'd really like to say thank you. To...

1. The RNA ladies who worked so hard to plan, organise, publicise and host a mammoth and memorable event. Total respect and huge thanks (from someone who's struggling to arrange a birthday treat involving 4 girls for daughter #1 this weekend...)

2. Fellow shortlisted authors Fiona Harper, Kate Hardy, Jessica Hart and Beth Elliot-- brilliant authors of some really stonking, emotional, lump-in-the-throat books who, even though we were all nervous, made Tuesday such fun. (The other shortlister, Lucy Broadbent, apparently lives in California so although it was a really fabulous occasion, I absolutely do not blame her for staying away from the sleet and snow that made getting there such a nightmare. But it would have been cooool to meet her because her book is great!)

3. Everyone who left congratulations comments here and emailed privately. I knew that the award winner got the lovely silver rose bowl, but I never expected to get the astonishing flood of generosity and downright loveliness too. Yes, I’m talking to you Michelle, Meljean, The Lizs Fielding and Fenwick, Margaret, Anne, Trenda, Karen, Katie, Kate H and Kate W, Rachel, Ray-Anne, Julie B and Julie C, Donna, Barbara, Fiona, Debs, Marilyn, Helen P and Helen R, Sarah, Sue Rix, Phillippa, Jane, Nina, Annie, Ania and all the forum gang. If I could, I’d give you all a hug whether you wanted one or not and I’d let you share my Krispy Kreme doughnuts. (Of course they had to figure in the celebrations...)

4. Lucy, my M&B editor, who is as clever and incisive as she is gorgeous and funny.

5. Julia Gregson, author of East of the Sun and winner of The Romantic Novel of the Year. Warm, friendly, down-to-earth and with the most beautiful taste in clothes, during the flurry of photos after the awards she made it feel like we were co-conspirators on an exciting adventure. I'm an instant fan.

6. James D’Arcy, obviously, for being so damned inspiring.

7. Abby Green, for being so damned great.

8. All the Presents authors, because writing for this line is like having lots and lots of lovely sisters looking out for you and giving you support. And that's in the bad times as well as the good ones.

9. My stylist, my astrologer, my personal trainer, my publicist, my feng shui consultant...

(Oh dear, I think perhaps I'd better better stop there, put on another lumpy old jumper and scuttle back up to my ice-cold office in the attic before the delusions take over...But really-- thanks to everyone.)

(I'll shut up now.)

(Thanks.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless...

Have a great day, India.

Lots of love,

Rach.
XXX

Kate Walker said...

So much more articulate than Ms Winslett. You should be a writer my dear!

Kate

Unknown said...

I agree with the lovely Kate, have a wonderful and please post a photo of your rose bowl.

Hope your daughter's party goes well. I remember having those for Keri, lots of squeals, laughter...I miss those days; enjoy!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE WELCOME!!!!!!!! XX ABBY GREEN

Unknown said...

Thanks Rach. Day was OK, but very cold and a bit lacking in champagne quite frankly. It could so easily become a habit...

Kate, I've thought about being a writer but I just don't have the time. Silver to polish, doughnuts to eat... and the internet won't surf itself you know...!

I must get a photo of the rose bowl, Marilyn, you're quite right! In truth I haven't quite decided where it's going to go yet. Somewhere out of reach of sticky fingers and Ruby the airhead cat, that's for sure. I wonder where Kate and Nell and Jessica and Liz kept it when they had it?

(And thanks for the good wishes about the party... Squeals aplenty, you're absolutely right!)

XXXX to you too Anonymous Abby. In fact, XXXXXXXXX

Jane said...

Congrats again, India.

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Chiming in late after a very hectic week, but wanting to wish you a huge congrats on your win, India!

Kate Hardy said...

Lovely 'speech', hon :o)

In answer to where I kept it: in the glass cabinet in our dining room, so it was far away from sticky fingers, and where it couldn't be knocked off a shelf and dented. (Not that I'm paranoid. Much.)

Oh, and if you want a close-up of the engraving, put some white paper in front of the rosebowl, as the reflection helps to make the engraving more visible.

(Sorry. I'm sounding like a PTA mum this morning. It's called trying and failing to batter my new PC into submission...)

Nell Dixon said...

Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Ah, thanks so much Jane!

Nicola-- hope you're having a nice, relaxing weekend now. Thank you for the congrats!

Ooooh Kate, thanks for the tip about the engraving. Would never have thought of that in a million years, so that's brill. As for the glass fronted cabinet...hmmm. Am thinking of getting one specially made from toughened safety glass, with laser alarms to warn me if any child gets within a few feet. Like in The Louvre. Just as well I'm not paranoid either...

Nell-- just in time! How did you keep it safe and show it off when you won it?

Nell Dixon said...

Sadly, when I won it, the engraving went wrong so I didn't officially get to take it home till the conference in July and then they asked for it back early so they could get it engraved etc for the next do which had been bought forward to Feb so i only actually had it in my sticky mitts for 6 months. It lived on a tiny windowsill in my lounge above the fish tank so people could admire but not touch lol.

Unknown said...

Above the fishtank? Oh gosh-- I would have been terrified that a freak earth tremor or a particularly heavy lorry passing on the road outside might have inadvertently shaken it off INTO THE FISHTANK...

A fireproof box under the bed is the only answer I think.