Wednesday 23 January 2008

Flying By

Am having One Of Those Weeks, so am just dropping in to say a very quick hello and apologise to the five squillion people to whom I owe emails, phonecalls (and money, but I hope that’s just school and I like to think the dinner money lady doesn’t read this...) It’s Daughter #3’s birthday on Monday, so half my mind is taken up with shopping/wrapping/planning party bags, while the other half is very much occupied by Olivier. I’m giving the book the final once over this week—checking for continuity errors and badly constructed sentences, and tweaking the sex scenes. (Is 'tweaking' the right word? Perhaps caressing would be more appropriate...? ) It’s a very different book from the one I intended to write, in which Olivier was going to be cold, cold, cold... Of course, he is on the surface, but I should have known when this song crept into my head and became the ‘anthem’ for the book that it wasn’t going to turn out the way I’d planned.

Talking of which, I’m still very much hoping to set up a jukebox type playlist on the website with the songs for each book. For me, they’re such a vital part of the writing process that it seems only right to share them, somehow. That’s one of the many jobs I have lined up for next week, along with catching up on emails, finding something to wear for the lovely sparkly Mills&Boon Centenary cocktail party, losing half a stone and sorting out World Peace.

5 comments:

Kate Hewitt said...

What a great idea about songs, India. I always have a playlist for each book.

Congratulations on the tweaking being almost done & good luck with the birthday party! We had two back to back in November and they're exhausting.

Amanda Ashby said...

India go and check out project playlist - you can make loads of diferent ones and they're easy to post to your blog or website.

Yay about finishing your book and double yay about upcoming birthday (says she smugly - who doesn't have to deal with another one until November. Mwhahaha!!!)

Unknown said...

The birthday season is just beginning in our house-- end of Jan, middle of Feb and first week in March. Must stock up on Rescue Remedy.

I'm off to look at project playlist now Amanda, though am feeling deeply intimidated by your use of the word 'easy'. After five years of trying I still can't set the timer on the oven...

Amanda Ashby said...

Our oven timer is possessed by the Devil himself and it makes No sense whatsoever. The clock spins in both directions and if you make the foolish mistake of touching it, it will at some random stage in the future make the oven stop working. Anyway, I can assure you that using project playlist will seem like a doodle in comparision.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting Oliver to--ahem--behave.

Best of luck with the emails, money, etc...can dinner ladies give errant mothers detention?