Friday 7 September 2007

More reading than writing

This was the week when, having returned the children to school, I was supposed to throw myself headlong into a rigorous working routine, shun all calorific indulgence in favour of carrot sticks and low fat cottage cheese, and-- as suggested by Rachel at the start of the holidays-- clean the fridge.

Oops.

Have achieved precisely none of the above, and it's all Amanda Ashby's fault, as from the moment the Amazon man delivered my copy of 'You Had Me at Halo' and I just sneaked a little look at the first page it was clear that I wasn't going to get a stroke of work done until I'd read it all. It's totally and utterly fab. I can't stress that enough. Totally. And utterly. Fab. Funny, (she has the greatest turn of phrase and the wittiest dialogue in the known universe) but it's also just a great idea that's simultaneously outrageous and completely believable. I'm about three-quarters of the way through, and I kind of don't want to finish it... (Though of course, if I don't, how am I ever going to get any work done?)

I suppose I should just be very relieved that my lovely husband spotted Abby Green's September release (The Kouros Marriage Revenge) in the shops last week when the ink was virtually still damp from the printing press, so at least I no longer have that one calling to me in a distracting manner from my TBR pile. I read it in huge, greedy stretches over the weekend (which accounts for the back-to-school chaos) and loved every page. Alexandros is so hot; fiercely arrogant and alpha, but there's one scene which really blew me away. I'd better not spoil it by saying which one, but it's quite near the end, and it kind of shows how relationships balance on a knife-edge, how the smallest gesture and the simplest act can alter the entire emotional landscape between two people. The whole book's beautifully executed-- damn her-- and definitely not to be missed.

In other news, I haven't forgotten about the website competition, but am waiting to post the name of the winner until I hear from her that it's OK! The draw took place amid appropriate formality and ceremony (or what passes for it in this house) on Wednesday evening, and the runners up are Jenny, Lily and Nathalie. Congratulations! Thanks so much to everyone who entered-- as it was my first ever competition I wasn't sure what to expect, so was pretty overwhelmed by the number of people who got in touch. It was so great to hear from you all, and I can't wait to do another competition when the next book comes out in January. Hurrah!

9 comments:

Amanda Ashby said...

Ooooh, I'm so pleased you're enjoying halo!!!! It wasn't until my editor said that she had no idea how I managed to make a complicated premise easy that I even realised it WAS outrageous because it honestly just made so much sense while I was writing it. Hmmm...what does that say about me?

Anonymous said...

Dear India,
glad to hear the fridge is untouched , mine is still a chronic health hazard along with the festering oven. Too many trousers to take up and teeny polo tops to label is my present excuse!

Couldn't agree more about Abby's book, she's an annoying clever woman isn't she? I love the curviness of the heroine too.
But of course NOW I'm going to have to get a copy of 'You Had Me at Halo' aren't I? I'll blame you when I get into trouble!
Rach.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ms. Grey for your lovely endorsement of Alexandros...altho I'm wracking my brains trying to think of what moment you're talking about, hmmm will have to winkle it out of you under the extreme pressure of champagne torture when we meet in London...and now I have to get Amanda's book too...!
x Abby

Unknown said...

Amanda-- husband is enjoying it too, now! I love the fact that it all makes perfect sense, and it feels really reassuring. You can be my spiritual guru as well as my writing coach from now on!

Oh Rachel, I feel so much better knowing you are similarly slovenly. However, I feel the moment of cleaning the oven cannot be put off much longer since a small mishap with a dish of sticky toffee pudding at the weekend. Wish me luck as I thrust on the rubber gloves and go forth... (Hope the wearer of the tiny trousers and polo tops is settled in happily!)

And yes, that Abby Green woman is deeply annoying to be so damn talented. Just as well she's not gorgeous or funny or nice too, isn't it...?

(Oh. Wait a minute. She IS... Grrrr!!!)

Anonymous said...

Yes, she really, really, really is. And Ms green is incredibly generous too-she'll know what I mean(shameless self promotion, hairy Greeks and all that, Abby..?)
Small person is mornings only until next term but brimming with confidence. Which means I now need to find another excuse for my slovenliness(is that a word?)
Best wishes,
Rach.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place to be...ouch! Just banged my rapidly expanding head off the door. India you really need to look into enlarging that doorway... :)
x Abby (the: generous, talented, gorgeous, witty, lively...a girl could get used to this...but of course it's only to be expected in such equal and illustrious company...ok better stop before someone needs to pass the sick bucket...)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to enter the next contest and totally agree with you about Amanda's book.

In other news, you've won two blog awards. Head over to http://brownstown76.blogspot.com/ to claim them.

PS
If you're looking for last Tuesday's lasagna, it's left your fridge and claimed asylum at my house.

Amanda Ashby said...

Hehehehe - I'm pleased that someone's husband is reading it because it certainly isn't mine!!! Though he he claims to have read the first chapter but he didn't do very well in my impromptu quiz so I'm not convinced!!!!

Unknown said...

Amanda-- Having finished it last night J is sharpening his pencil and awaiting the questions! (He loved it-- proving either that your writing crosses all boundaries of gender and age, or that he's a great big girly girl...)

Brown-- Hurrah! My day just got loads better (more of why it was a bit rubbish coming later!) Am coming your way now!