Monday 25 June 2007

What happened to summer?

This afternoon sees daughter #2's first performance of 'Captain Noah and his Floating Zoo', which seems gloriously appropriate for the vile weather we're having at the moment. Had to negotiate ankle-deep floods on the path up to school this morning, but at least by the time the daughters were delivered into the classroom, for once their socks were not noticeably less white than anyone else's. An unexpected bonus.

Actually, have thought of a couple of other good things about the weird weather. Firstly, husband has spent the weekend re-living his youth by watching coverage of the Glastonbury Festival, as he does every year, saying wistfully from time to time, 'we should go back, you know... the children would love it...' Thankfully this year the excess of rain, cold and mud has saved me the bother of dignifying these comments with a response, as the reasons why lashing out the price of a week's holiday somewhere warm and nice on 3 days camping in prehistoric conditions are patently obvious.

The other side benefit of a week of rain is that Wimbledon play will be minimal. Terrible news if you're a tennis player, or if you're my mum and have been virtually counting the days until the tournament starts, but excellent if you're a writer on deadline. (Selfish? Me?..... well OK, just a bit.....)

Am actually reaching that stage where the book feels like it's coming together, and have spent the weekend darting furtively into my study when no-one is looking. While it's annoying (and reminiscent of that Kit Kat advert from a few years ago-- must try to find it on youtube) to be struck by inspiration over a busy weekend, I guess that it's better than not being struck at all, and am facing a new week filled with resolve and high optimism. Or, if I'm being completely honest, resolve, high optimism, and rather too many chocolate biscuits following coffee with lovely friend and Presents goddess Penny Jordan. Every now and again we give ourselves one hour off to have a quick catch up and a chat, and the lovely thing is that even though we don't tend to talk about anything work-related I always leave her feeling energised and ready to write...

(Which, of course, is exactly what I would be doing if lovely friend Claire wasn't coming for lunch any minute.....)

5 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

Glad the book is coming together.

When I saw the words "Kit Kat" I thought you meant you were darting furtively into your office to eat chocolate...

(Exits, giving evil grin)

Unknown said...

Well, that too, obviously Kate. I mean, everyone knows it's essential fuel to the creative fire and all that.

But what I was getting at was the pandas. Skating. Does anyone else remember them, or am I getting delusional in my deadline panic?

Amanda Ashby said...

I remember the pandas - completely hilarious. Though an even better one (and obviously I haven't tried this at home because I'm Not That Sort of Person) is the one where the woman attachs a mop to her crawling baby so the floors can get cleaned while she herself sits down and eats a KitKat!! Okay and I'm sure there is a good reason why I have a photographic memory when it comes to chocoalte commercials...

Kate Hardy said...

Oh yes, the pandas! How could I have forgotten? (I loved that ad. Almost as much as the Andrex Puppy.)

Unknown said...

Found it!

Must now go and search for the floor mopping baby. (Fabulous idea... Why did that never occur to me?)